|The sun rises behind Terrigal Haven this morning|
[Photo courtesy of Jenny Barker]
Experience tells me that I've done the training and that I won't run that badly on Sunday. However, part of the reason it's all weighing on my mind a little is that exactly how well I run will impact my plans for the next nine months. If I finish in a time that gives me any confidence that I could run a near 3-hour marathon in April, then I'll delay the start of my planned three-month hike around Ireland until after that marathon. It's unlikely I'll ever have the chance, small as it is, to run that kind of time again.
If my time on Sunday gives me little hope of a sub-3 marathon in April then I'll give the marathon a miss and start my hike earlier - an attractive outcome because I am looking forward to the hike and early spring will be a better time to start.
I haven't booked any flights yet and also need to start on the detailed planning, so I need to make a decision one way or the other. I'll be trying as hard as I can on Sunday and hoping that I'll get a clear indication. Since both outcomes do have attractions, what am I worried about.